Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:30:25 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: WTB a new radio.....
Comments: To: Philip Baird <pactor@NCINTERNET.NET>

When Crutchfield's sales reps say only one will fit what they really mean is that only one falls within their category of "easy fit".

What I did was pull out the old radio and measured the space available... very carefully. The problem with fit is depth from dash surface to the back of the hole... which is the back part of the dash... plastic, curved... so measure the distance from both the top and bottom of the hole in the dash.

Then call Crutchfield again and ask for the EXACT measurements of the units. (use the catalogue measurements to get you into the ballpark by eliminating the ones that are obviously too deep and focusing on the ones that come close). If the guy can't give you the exact measurements it means either he is new and doesn't know how to access that information or he only wants the easy sales... in either case call back and try another sales rep until you get one that is more helpful. Remember to allow room for the connector plug.

I think some of the local auto stereo shops use face plates that act like spacers to move give more depth but apparently Crutchfield does not dirty their hands with that.. they only want to sell easy fits.

Through the above process I did get one that fit even though it was not listed as a fit by Crutchfield.. but my model is discontinued.... It seems I remember that generally the Blaupunkts fit better than other brands and may have been the only ones with CDs that were shallow enough to fit.

Good Luck Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Philip Baird <pactor@NCINTERNET.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, February 13, 2000 1:47 PM Subject: WTB a new radio.....