Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:05:33 -0800
From:         Stuart <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil stick
Comments: To: Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>

Oregon is the same way, but their legislature thinks their citizens are too stupid to pump their own gas.

I live in Washington and find this extremely annoying. It takes twice as long, and costs more. Can you imagine not having "pay at the pump?"

Ken is right, just get out and check your own oil and coolant, and you will also be ready to assist with gas cap reinstallation.

I think the real reason is that the station owners lobby the legislatures in those states. "Mini serve" provides employment for the disadvantaged and lets you justify a higher gas price. Both political winners. There is no other reason to prohibit self serve.

End of rant.

Bill Johnson wrote: > > I noticed this same ritual while in NJ. What is the reason for no self > serve? > > Bill > ----- Original Message ----- > From: <KENWILFY@AOL.COM> > > The time I like to check the oil is right after filling up with gas. That > way the oil is warm, yet you have given it a few minutes to flow back down > into the bottom of the motor. I usually check it almost every gas fillup > when I am travelling. That and the coolant. > I got into a really good habit of doing this when living in the South where > you can pump your own gas (this right should be in the Constitution :). > Here > in the People's Republic of NJ we are forced to let the gas station > attendants scratch our cars with gas nozzles, slop fuel down the side of the > car, and attempt in vain to put the gas cap back on while we sit back and > relax :) And if they ask if they can check the oil and water, be smart and > say, "No thanks". > > Ken Wilford > http://www.vanagain.com > John 3:16 > Office (856)-765-1583 > Shop (856)-327-0027 > Fax (856)-327-2242