Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:07:34 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV boot replacement
Comments: To: Steve Sullivan <Steve@NORTHWESTWATCH.ORG>

Steve Sullivan wrote: > > I have some specific questions about replacing CV boots on my '84 Westy that > I can't figure out from reading my Bentley Manual. . . > > 1) Can the axle shaft be removed without removing the wheel bearing housing, > axle nut, and rear brakes? It looks like I could simply unbolt the inner end > from the transmission and drop that end of it to the ground.

Yes, but the bearing housing limits the distance the axle will drop, and I don't think you have enough clearance to remove the joint from that end, though others may know for sure. If you are just replacing the boot get a split boot and you will be done in 30 minutes. If the joint is full of crap you should remove it and clean and inspect it.

> > 2) If I can drop one end of the shaft, or even if I can remove the whole > shaft, the manual shows the need to press the CV joint off the axle shaft. > But my axle shaft can easily be pushed back and forth, leading me to think > that if I can drop the trannie end I can simply slide the joint off, replace > both boots, slide the joint back on, and bolt the axle shaft back to the > transmission. Am I wrong?

Ahh, if it were so simple. The sliding movement you see is in the joint itself between the inner and outer races, not the axle sliding in the bearing. > > In other words, can I do this job myself? Or do I need special tools (such > as a joint puller) I have no access to? Heck, I don't even have access to a > garage to do this in. . . > You will need a bench with a bench vise, the correct 12 point socket screw tool, a pair of circlip pliers or longnose pliers, and a good size hammer and drift to get reluctant joints off. Really reluctant joints may need pressing off.

> 3) The manual shows the joint being held to the axle shaft by a circlip, and > says you have to press (pull) the joint off using a special tool. If that's > true, why can I easily slide my axle shaft back and forth with my hand? Or > does the clip hold the joint not to the axle shaft, but to the thingy that > bolts to the transmission?

See above. I recommend you cut off the ripped boot, wipe out as much old grease as possible, pack in some new grease, and slap on a split boot until you have a place to work.

> If all this is in the archives, I apologize, I couldn't find it. > > Your help appreciated. > > Steve

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com