Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:43:51 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: OIL FILTERS? & lube guys

At 09:09 AM 02/11/2000 EST, you wrote: >Has anyone tried to collect damages or sue when these places mess up your >van? Do you sign some waiver?

Have a client with a Peugeot. Quicky shop stripped the drain threads. Paid for new pan. Next oil service whomever overtorqued the new plug and stressed the threads in the brand new cast alloy pan. Then he found me.

It seems like as "professionals" they have a >duty to do it right or tell you they can't do it.

Professionals do not do oil changes except within at least a lubrication maintenance inspection, not a 5 minute 101 point check list with recommendations for whatever we are pushing this week at our other franchise 'cause they found a cheaper price on cheaper shocks. Like any industry, I expect only the top 10% are professionals in all actions. They will ALWAYS use the right filter, not the cheapest. It means they use AC filters on GM vehicles, MotorCrafts on Fords, and Mann or VW/Audi on Vanagons.

Consequently, the easy squeezzee way to recognize a professional is by noting the many brands of oils and filters they have on site or can get for next days appointment and their willingness to do so. Will they allow you to bring a $1.99 Flaps loss leader filter to save money? Probably not. They would refer you to the nearest Jolly Roger for the zip zip zoom treatment by Black Bart (Arrrgh), 'cause they do cheap much better, and thank you for your interest. "Next customer!"

All bays will have all specialty tools required for drain and fill of anything on the lubrication inspection list for anything they agree to service. If you are anal about Kendall oil, they will allow you to supply it or order it for you. There are many aspects of specialty franchises that limit such options to customer services. If you go to the Quaker State franchise will you have any options? Some franchises say NO, you must sell our oil and filter lines. Some say yes, it's up to the franchise holder. He may enhance customer services or not, as he chooses.

Must it be said? No one is skilled to a professional level in ANY profession without 5 years hands on application. Comprehensive skill at a technical level requires no less. Part time colleges students earning their keep at $6.00 an hour learning by mistake and error how to do oil changes 4 hours per day has elements of good and bad. God bless the initiative to address their necessity. But rarely are they doing oil changes 'cause they like to do them. If they could get $7 per hour stacking cord wood, they'd be doing that.

Another 10% are zip zip zoom, there go the threads, 'cause every bay must do 7 or more services per hour, damn the list. The other 80% give a variety of spotty results.

If my engine got messed up >(as in the previous post) I think I'd at least try to do something.

The something to do is recognize that $19.95 oil changes are not the same as lubrication inspections. When you pay for taters you don't get protein, you get starch.

The lowest cost out of pocket is to do it right yourself. Buy the proper filters 3 or 5 at a time. Buy quality brand name oil at the FLAPS at the $0.99 loss leader sales. Don't hope it's done right, know it's done right. It means once or twice a year you have to dispose of your 5 gallon bucket of used lubricants, but you will have oil changes properly done for half the cost of zip zip zoom by pirates.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim San Juan Island, WA