Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:07:04 -0700
From:         Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: OIL FILTERS? & lube guys

re: The lowest cost out of pocket is to do it right yourself

Doktor Tim's writeup on this is really good, and I think folks should take the sentence above to heart. It might be good to compare oil changes to pumping gasoline. There are fewer and fewer places where an attendant will come out and pump your gas, wash your windshield, and check your oil. (I don't actually know specifically where to find one.) You do it yourself. Think of oil changes like this. The only difference is there are places that claim they can do it, but they absolutely cannot do your Vanagon, and if I owned a Chevy I'm not sure I'd trust them to do that car correctly either.

Think of these statistics. (someone can provide correct numbers). In the USA, xxx Vanagons were sold between 1980 and 1992. During any given year during this period, Chevy probably made more of any given model in a month than VW sold Vanagons in the USA during the entire 10+-year period. Chances are about 99 to 1 the "mechanics" at the quickie lube places have never seen a Vanagon before.

And, pretty much every engine Chevy put in those vehicles was either a 1955 or early 1960s design, hardly changed since. When your Vanagon was new, even the best Chevy mechanics at the Chevy dealer never saw a vehicle as sophisticated as the Vanagon--they still haven't. The fact that your Vanagon may be 20 years old and is only worth $2000 changes nothing, and chances are about 99 of every 100 mechanics you find have never worked on a Vanagon and most of the 99 probably don't want to and most don't have the book and most won't be able to figure it out by looking. Chevies just don't have "plugs" right next to the drain plug that are really the oil pump, etc.