Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:18:08 -0600
From:         Jennifer Jones <jj1@MAIL.TDS.NET>
Subject:      '80 Vanagon - Final Chapter

Well, I poured over all the views and advice from about 50+ e-mails (I could now publish a 1980 Westfalia Buying Guide :)), in addition to scouring the Internet looking at ads on similar vans for sale. I decided the highest I would go for this one was $4000, even if it checked out completely clean upon inspection. I highly doubted it would given that I already knew at the very least it needed exhaust/muffler work and something done about the rust under the side window (not to mention, not knowing if the stove or fridge even worked since they'd never been used and weren't hooked up).

So, I called the guy today to see if he'd made the inspection appt. and to tell him I'd offer him $4000, contingent on the inspection. He said he'd already shown it to some guy yesterday who offered him $4350 and that he turned it down because it wasn't enough. He also said there was some other guy coming over today who sounded like he was ready to write a check on the spot. I said that was probably just as well because I wouldn't go higher than $4000, and he said, no way - he wouldn't go lower than $4500.

So, there we go. *sigh* I'm trying not to be too bummed about it. I think my main issue had to do with it being an automatic. I definitely didn't want this van for city driving, I wanted it for camping and travel. Some people thought there wasn't much of a difference, but most thought I'd have less power and lower gas milage with an automatic. If this van had been a manual, I would have gone to $4500, but _only_ based on an inspection, compression test, and leak-down test. I dunno - maybe I just gave up a great vehicle, but without knowing what a maint. check would have found, and knowing I'd prefer a stick-shift, it just didn't seem worth it compared to price ranges I heard about and that I saw in classifieds from around the country.

Maybe the guy was bluffing when he was talking about these other guys who were willing to offer so much with no inspection, but it didn't seem like it as he was sure let me go fast enough off the phone when I said "good luck selling it". Are they fool-hardy souls for taking such a chance? Seems like it... As many people said, it's only worth it if I think it is, and I only planned on using this van until a better stick-shift came along, anyway...

O Well - what can I say? I don't feel too bad, because who knows what pother problems may have been lurking in there, especially given the first engine went out at 36K. The inside sure was in excellent shape, though...

So, thanks to all the knowledge I've gained on the list over the last few days, my partner and I are absolutely set on getting a Westie! Of course, what I want now is a '91 synchro Westie! :) Until I can afford that, we'll probably be looking for a stick-shift camper, one that's been well taken care of and that seems reliable. I have a few leads on ads from the Minneapolis area, and some list members had other suggestions of ones they'd seen for sale. If anyone does hear or know of one, PLEASE pass it on... I already had the financing set up for this purchase, so I'm ready to buy - like ASAP.

We are musicians and ultimately would like to take the van on tour (there's just the two of us). I'm thinking we'll probably have to have some kind of small trailer for our guitars, toys, and my small drum-set. I'm assuming I'd need a synchro in order to tow anything?

Anyway - we'll figure it out. I'm staying on the list (even though it's painful to read all the posts when I have no van and want one so bad!). Another huge THANKS to everyone that responded and took the time to share their experience. I have entire pages of things to look out for, to have inspected, to do and not to do, how to drive an air-cooled automatic without overheating, etc... A plethora of knowledge. I haven't been on a mailing list since I was on the Indigo Girls list back in the mid '90s. I forgot how nice it is to be part of a virtual community!

I'll be writing again for tips on my next prospective purchase. Wanted to let you all know how this one turned out. Thanks again,

JJ (my name is Jennifer, but I go by JJ)