Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:41:57 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Car Care [TRACKING DOWN A BATTERY DRAIN - 02/16/2000]
Comments: To: Brian Asbury <brian@NAVO.HPC.MIL>

I have an even easier method! The problem with using an ohmmeter is that you have to be able to *see* the meter while you are fiddling with the fuses, etc. This requires frequent running back and forth to the ohmmeter. (what a PITA). Instead, what I do is connect a small buzzer in line with the positive or negative battery cable. As current flows through the cable (due to the short), it sounds the buzzer. When the circuit is cut that is causing the short, the buzzer goes out giving you immediate feedback without having to keep an eye on a meter. I start with all the fuses pulled, then gradually add the fuses back until I get the buzzer to sound. This narrows down the approximate area of the short, and you can limit your testing of components to that particular fused group.

I am sure this breaks several rules of proper electrical system analysis, but Hell, it works! :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Asbury [mailto:brian@NAVO.HPC.MIL] Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 11:15 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: FW: Car Care [TRACKING DOWN A BATTERY DRAIN - 02/16/2000]

This was a topic on the Vanagon list a few days ago and showed up on my car care tip of the day, thought some of you might find this interesting. I have generously deleted the 90% of the email that is advertising. I left the subscription information if anyone is interested.

Brian

TipWorld - http://www.tipworld.com The Internet's #1 Source for Computer Tips, News, and Gossip

Proudly presents: Car Care

TRACKING DOWN A BATTERY DRAIN

Question: I have a 1987 Olds Delta 88. If I let it sit for one day, the battery is drained. I don't have many power features on this car, and everything seems to be working (rear defogger, lighter, radio). How can I go about searching for the source to this annoying problem?--Harry O

Answer: Harry, you have to perform an electrical draw test. During this test, a digital volt ohmmeter is hooked up to the vehicle's battery and each electrical circuit is temporarily disconnected from the electrical system until the parasitic draw is identified by a drop in voltage. I would start by accessing a wiring diagram to determine which circuits are live with the key off. Then start eliminating them by disconnecting the fuses and electrical plugs that feed these circuits. The process is time-consuming and tedious. If you're experienced, go for it! If you're not, then hire a professional. Expect to pay at the shop's skilled labor rate on a time and material basis. I wish you success.

Over the past 27 years, Tom Torbjornsen has been an automotive technician, an auto service manager, the manager of a tire and auto service center, and the owner of an automotive tool and equipment business. Immersed in the crossfire between the automotive industry and the motoring public for years, Tom saw a need for a way to educate the consumer; so in 1991 he decided to start a radio program: The Car Show With Tom Torbjornsen. You can hear the show on the Web at

http://www.carshowtomt.com/

by clicking on the Listen To The Show icon. You can send e-mail to Tom at tomt@carshowtomt.com, although he cannot personally reply to all submissions.