Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:44:37 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      shop rate was Re: watching mechanics

At 09:33 AM 02/16/2000 -0700, you wrote: >Don't you guys charge shop rate by the book? >

My shop rate is not in any book. It is posted on a piece of paper and displayed. If you mean "flat rate" or published estimates.............

No, I charge actual time. I use Mitchell or Motors figures to make an estimate. If Mitchell doesn't list a time for the contemplated work, I review the procedures and make a best guess. I can beat these estimates the great majority of the time. If my actual time exceeds the book estimate, I bill it if there is a specific reason it took longer i.e. following some pretty poor doityourselfism like an axel nut that has been destroyed by several pipe joint pliers attempts at removal with no success, or JurisRigusElectricus, as examples.

Consequently, my estimates are higher than any of the bottom feeders and a large percentage of invoices actually cost less than the estimate. I replaced a tie-rod end last week that was estimated to include a full alignment if necessary. Two interations for toe and camber check showed in spec. Estimate was $135 and work completed and billed was $82. That is every bit as rare as the 1 hour estimated procedure that takes two to address unknown required extra time to get results.

As to clients watching, it depends on the motives of the person. If they are scared silly they are going to get ripped off, I give them references to allay their fears before agreeing to work for them. If they are in love with their machine and want more knowledge, I am happy to provide such additional value at no more or less than the standard rate. I have had very few requests for 'can I watch'. If and when I do have such a request, I ask them why they need or want to watch. Whether I allow same depends on the answer as well of my personal knowledge of the individual.