Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:01:19 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electrolysis and prevention of corrosion:

I've seen the Fast German Auto "Z-Sticks" and have wondered if they actually work or if they are of the "Whizzbang" variety that Doktor Tim talks about so much... :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Gregg Howald [mailto:ghowald@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 1:37 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Electrolysis and prevention of corrosion:

Glad you brought up the subject, Brent! I have been thinking about this for awhile since I purchased my first Vanagon Multi-Van. For boats used in salt water, a "sacrificial element" is used to protect boat engine corrosion from electrolysis (magnified by presence of stray electrical currents in marinas!). This element is Zinc and my general understanding is that zinc will react more readily than the metal engine (a chemist on the list could probably explain more thoroughly). Thus, if there is always Zinc present to react, there will be minimal to no corrosion (caused by electrolysis) of the engine. That is the principal in marine engines anyway. I think that Fast German Auto is selling VW engine blocks with the ability to add the "Sacrificial Element".

The question I have is: Will Zinc work to protect the VW engine? What about another element? Will you have to increase the frequency with which you change your coolant by addition of Zinc?

Seems to me, this would do the job.

Gregg