Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:51:10 -0700
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Most miles on Vanagon

>Who has the most miles on there Vanagon?

275K, 1981 2.0l Transporter.

Original everything, as far as I know. When I got it 14 years ago, it had 100K and was babied big time. The reciepts were in it, and all the regular maintenance seemed to have been done by the book. Judging by the condition of the interior, two people did a lot of highway traveling, the body was pristine.

I change the oil & filter regularly, keep the motor clean, and pray over it, a lot :-) The motor is worn as compression checks are down in the 90's, no smoke from the tail pipes, even on startup.Plugs are always nice and tanned, but then I only drive it on long trips. Very little in-town, stop and go driving. Perhaps the best thing that happened was the oil that would leak at high speeds on the freeways. Although it was costly to put in so much oil on long voyages, most of the oil seldom got more than 1,000 miles on it, so that was always clean stuff <g> I have since gottten a real job, and paid for the repairs to fix the leaks. Mostly.

I don't take much credit for it, as the original owners 'taught it well' but anyone who buys a car vehicle, and does the maintenance on it, can attest to the fact that if you can get it to 100K, it will keep on going after that. Kind of like children. Do a good job early on, and it gets easier as they age. No maintenance early on, and you are in big trouble :-)

Regards from Utah,

John