Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:58:55 -0800
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: SECRETS for staying awake
Comments: To: LAWS HOME <backintime@TRITON.NET>

At 1:12 PM -0800 2/17/00, LAWS HOME wrote: >Even at 60mph. you can make 500 miles a day , with a lunch break, and >taking a >rest stop every 3 or 4 hours.

Right on, brother! In our old air-cooled bus, we had a very enjoyable 15,000 mile trip all around North America, and we cruised at 57 mph the whole way. We had 3 months to do it, so we had very few days we were driving for more than 10 or 12 hours. The slow speed and the frequent stops allowed us to enjoy the trip that much more. We're driving BUSES, here, people! Get off the freeways, slow down, enjoy the scenery, smell the flowers, take a minute to put on more patchouli, man! Leave the freeway white-line fever to the Lexus drivers and other automatons!

I just brought up a new (to me) 1982 westy diesel from LA to Canada, did it in two days comfortably with two drivers. OK, a trip like that needs freeway driving, even if they are just a tool of The Man. Even with breaks every few hours, we did 830 miles the first day, cruising at 62 mph--and 40 mph up hill in Northern CA.

Yeah, it was a bit of a long day, but we had two drivers, and I typically sleep 5 - 6 hours a day anyway. And (important) the next day was a lot shorter, leaving more time for drumming on my bongos and meditating with crystals and my powerbook.

Whenever I do feel drowsy, I just pull over and find a quiet place to sleep. With a westy, my pad's always with me, so I can crash anytime I want. Sleep is *it*, man. Or I can make myself some herbal tea and cool out. Or just pull the curtains, put on some GD, plug my lava lamp into the inverter, and soak up the space. Always good for a couple more hours driving time.

I don't think I'd be comfortable pushing for two or more 830 mile days. A 600 mile day is plenty when on a long trip--if you need to cover more ground than that consistently, maybe you're planning needs a re-think. Maybe you should even consider (eep) flying. If I had to drive long days two or more days in a row my energy would get really screwed up and it'd be really hard to relate to what was happening while driving. You can only groove to the tunes of your ride for so long before you lose your edge, man.

T. (whose diesel's got great tunes at 3800 rpm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada tobin.copley@ubc.ca

'82 westy 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |__| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi O|. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango) http://www.sfu.ca/~tcopley/vw/