Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:02:30 -0600
From:         Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ethanol
Comments: To: Martin <nitram@TBCNET.COM>

Martin wrote: > > It is getting increasing difficult to find pure unleaded in my county. > Everyone is sell a blend of 10% ethanol. Is this ok for our 1.9 or 2.1? > What about the 2.0 Golf engine? >

I have used a 10% ethanol blend in all my vehicles for at least the past 10 years. This is in a wide range of vehicles, from a '75 Chevy pickup to air cooled Vanagons, two '84 Vanagons, an '85, '86, '88, an Olds Silhoette, various '80's Audis, a '96 Subaru---, and they all run just fine with no problems whatsoever, no decrease in gas mileage, no summertime vapor lock problems, no problems period.

This fuel is widely sold in the midwest. I live in Iowa, and produce the corn which is the source of the ethanol in nearly all of the blended gasoline sold here. A small part of what we use is sometimes imported from Brazil. This is a renewable energy source in abundant supply with no known pollution/contamination problems. When you consume an alcoholic beverage, the alcohol is ethanol. A reasonable amount probably won't hurt you, and it won't hurt your car either. Use it as a fuel of choice. It improves the octane of the mix, stretches the gasoline supply, does not pollute, gives us a measure of independence from the reliance upon imports, and actually makes your engine run better in that it serves as a constant cleaner for the injectors, and removes water from the gas tank and fuel lines.

Can you tell, I sort of like it.

Chuck Hill, Iowa farmer, Vanagon driver.