Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:39:28 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ken et al... Has anyone discussed a Fiamma bike carrier group
              dea l?
Comments: To: Mike Ray <Mike.Ray@AMMOBILE.COM>

The biggest difference that I was able to determine between the Fiamma and the Paulchen (without having ever actually seen a "live" Fiamma) is that the Fiamma is made from extruded aluminum, and the Paulchen is powder coated steel tubing. The bike carrier on the Fiamma is more of a Yakima-style, with the trough that the bike fits into, whereas the Paulchen uses a couple of adjustable ovals that the tires fit into, along with a clamp that swings out to grip the seatpost.

I am very happy with my Paulchen - the mounts fit perfectly, and after a year of sitting on the van there is no evidence of any weathering. When I remove it from the van (takes about 5 minutes) it does not appear to be leaving any marks on the paint.

Damned expensive, though.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Ray [mailto:Mike.Ray@AMMOBILE.COM] Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 7:00 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Ken et al... Has anyone discussed a Fiamma bike carrier group dea l?

I'm a little late on the subject here but I know there was talk before on the list about the Fiamma carrier. Has anyone attempted a group purchase deal with them?

It looks good on the web site and I haven't heard any bad stories about the rack. It lists on the site for 212$ (U.S.) I'd like to get one for under 200$ maybe they'd go 180$ or so with a small group purchase.

Don't know about ski accessories for the rack but it seems this may be more in the price range of folks out there.

Mikey `87 Westy sans rack :-(

http://www.fiamma.com/catalog/cbvwt4_t2.html

Ken wrote... Being disappointed over having won & lost the bid on the Paulchen rack offered earlier...does anyone else have a rack they would like to sell?