Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:34:11 -0800
From:         Antaki <wrack@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hydraulic System Bleeding

I like the idea of using a hand-operated oiler as pressure pump. I feel I must warn fellow listmembers of one thing, correct me if I'm wrong... *Never contaminate a brake system with oil.* The oil will eat up the rubber seals. Therefore, use a new oiler for this operation. But you all knew this, right?

In my attempts to make a pressure bleeder on the cheap, I have developed a way to allow pressurized fluid to be pumped into the brake fluid reservour:

Take a spare cap for the brake fluid reservoir and install a modifed replacement Presta valve into the center of it, using pieces of a bicycle tube for gaskets. Modify the Presta valve by cutting off the inside valve stem and removing it, leaving just the threaded outer body. That makes a proper place to attach the tube from the hand oiler.

Know of any other ways to achieve this? Replacement Presta valves may be hard to find anymore.

OK, what is this Presta valve, you ask ? "Racer" bicycle tubes have this style valve stem, vs. the Schrader style always used on automobile tires. The replacement valves have threaded outer bodies, and a flange at the bottom. Used to repair a tube with a damaged unit.

R τΏτ o Antaki My mind is like a steel trap - rusty, and illegal in 37 states.