Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:50:46 -0800
From:         Ian Baker <ian@SONIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: SECRETS for staying awake

I totally agree with Tom - if you're tired, stop and sleep, there's no other way. That said, sometimes, especially on Interstate drives in those big square states, especially in the winter, it sometimes takes 30-45 minutes to find an acceptable place to stop for the night. I find that drinking cold water, turning up the radio, and _singing along_ all make a huge difference. Happy tunes that you know the words for are good here... I prefer They Might be Giants, but that's just me...

> I don't think I'd be comfortable pushing for two or more 830 mile days. A

I've done it before, followed by a 12mi desert hike and then another 13 hour drive, but that was also in a '79 Honda Accord ("Harold", wonderful car) that was comfortable cruising at 85-90mph... 600mi/day is prety good in my bus ('78 Westy, "Sidney"), whose old engine can maybe get it going 75 on a good cold day, though it's far from comfy doing it. (OTOH, it's so much more comfortable to sleep in than the Honda... boy did my back hurt after all those road trips sleeping in the passenger seat)

-Ian