Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:21:22 -0500
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC in 1988
Comments: To: Todd Kaderabek <todd@LARKBOOKS.COM>

My opinion: Cost prohibitive vs. buying a van with a functioning a/c.

Fact: A/C in a Westy in the south is problematic anyway.

Conclusion: will it be worth the effort, time, or money? No, more than likely.

Number one, we are talking about a 12 year old vehicle. Then the enormous inconvenience and hardship of retrofitting with another non-factory system. Will the value of the vehicle will be improved to the point of at least equalling the investment in upgrading? Probably not on an actual $ investment basis, and in "real time" devoted to the project.

Better plan: by a van with air. Even non-functioning air would be better than starting from scratch.

Before you purchase any van, to make yourself feel better about your purchase and to save you money, you should avail yourself of an experienced person on this list, if at possible, for an inspection.

I feel it is a ticket to disaster to attempt to make your dreams of ownership a force-fit upon a particular vehicle that is obviously unsuited from outset.

You would greatly benefit from adjusting your Vanagoneering goals to a reality of economic expenditure and time factors of involvement. I don't mean this in a mean or negative way, but this is my impression from reading some of your posts. Are your expectations realistic? This is meant as constructive, friendly, criticism, but firm.

Maybe others will refute, maybe confirm, and hopefully from the mass of opinion you will glean what is right for your goal. If the same can be gleaned by voice of the majority . . .

HK

Now go out and think of something to chastise me about ! : ) It will happen, just as sure as the sun is in the sky.

At 09:24 AM 2/21/00 -0500, Todd Kaderabek wrote: >Anybody have a ballpark on how much it would cost to install air >conditioning in an '88 Westfalia? > >Thanks. > >TJK >-- >Todd J. Kaderabek, Director of Production >Lark Books, Fiberarts Magazine, Folkwear Patterns >50 College Street >Asheville, NC 28801 >Phone: (828) 253-0467, X 331 >Fax: (828) 253-7952 >todd@larkbooks.com