Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:24:55 -0800
From:         Björn Ratjen <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      SUV and Vanagon (story)

Dear Volks,

Last week my wife's Passat was at the body shop. It had been the target practice of an at least honest driver at a parking lot who had left an apologetic note under the windshield wiper. When I came to pick up a substitute rental car I was told that I could pick anything from a Toyota Corolla to a $60000 (Canadian) GM Tahoe. Well I pick the Tahoe with bushbar and everything else and can tell you about some comparative driving experience.

The vehicle had nice looking leather seats. Unfortunately they were not really made for a tall driver like myself and offered little hold in corners. Therefore I clutched the steering wheel a bit harder only to notice that the seams of the leather were at a spot to - I guess - remind you that there was something handmade there. The seat warmers fried sensitive parts. They had no adjustment like my wife's Passat only one position for frying your bottom and another one to fry bottom and back. Maybe GM was attempting some type of population control since sperm do not like to be overheated. This theory would be in line with the placement of the exhaust pipe which blows fumes towards the passenger side at exactly the height of small children - especially those in strollers.

When using the turn signal I was reminded by an ergonomically questionable bump at the lever that this vehicle had cruise control as well. Ergonomics definitely did not play a big part in the conception of this vehicle. I still don't know why I had this shade on top of the windshield which left me with a view as if the road was ending pretty soon or a constant drive into an abyss - except when I hit a bump in the road which enable me to get glimpses of further vision.

Despite 5 or 6 buttons on the side of the seat I had a difficult time to find a comfortable adjustment. Mind you maybe I am spoiled through my Recaro seat in my Syncro. Although my kids loved to ride the seat back and forth and up and down. It is an entertaining possibility to drain the battery.

The Tahoe's handling felt like a truck. You get a somewhat dampened bounce of the rear when you hit a bumpy road even though the car was new (1200kms). It had four positions for the transmission 2WD HI, 4WD auto, 4WD HI, 4WD low. The engine produced enough power albeit at a cost: 21L/100kms or about 12mpg. My wife's TD Passat uses exactly a third and my syncro uses about 60% of that amount. Can you imagine if you would really go off-road with this beast where you may double your fuel consumption?

Another item worth mentioning is the GM Manual or should I call it the GM Bible. It is full of GM's gospel and tells me wisdoms like: "No one sees as well at night as during the day", or "the harder it rains the less you see". Wow, I wonder if you are old enough to drive a car shouldn't have enough experience to come to this conclusion yourself? The illustrations remind me of pictures in a cheap gospel book from an entrepreneurial and well meaning believer whose illustrations make kids turn to comics because they appear to be works of art. Like a gospel the book is full of stories and do's and don'ts but offers little technical detail.

Indeed I became a believer again in a different way. Imagine this thing cost about three vanagons. Which would you choose? It makes a vanagon Syncro look really affordable plus you get a better 4WD system and a differential lock. I believe I had to have this experience to believe in VW again.

Björn

Björn Ratjen Mill Bay, B.C.

1987 Vanagon est alia (self camperized, TDI wannabe) 1978 VW Bulli (self camperized) 1995 Passat TD Wagon (hers) 1970 VW Beetle (son's)