Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:25:31 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Unidentified noise

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed light on the cause of this mysterious noise my Waterboxer has recently started making.

The vehicle runs fine (touch wood) but over the last month or so I have been aware of a mysterious "thump" occuring once when the vehicle has been idling in the driveway after a decent run or just after I turn it off in the garage. It is probably best described as sounding like someone giving one of the metal panels a gentle thump with the side of their fist.

I could never pinpoimt the source of this but then yesterday it did it again when I'd just got out of the vehicle and it sounded like it possibly came from the fuel tank.This got me wondering if there's a breather pipe blocked and a vacuum is being created in the tank, and then expanding again when I stop driving,hence the "thump" as the tank again expands.I've also noticed a bit of a "Whoosh" when the petrol cap is removed for refilling (which I can't remember happening previously) which is typical of a vacuum in the tank. It has been pretty hot here recently but I don't know if that has any bearing on my symptoms.

Anyone experienced this or wanna have an educated guess?It's a new one on me...

Thanks, Steve O. Blue Mountains NSW Australia '92 Transporter 2.1 WBX (built in Graz,Austria) '76 Crew Cab 2.0 '68 Beetle Deluxe '00 Transporter 2.5 5cyl Crew Cab (work truck)

PS.March 8 2000 is apparantly the 50th Anniversary of the first Transporter rolling off the production line in the Fatherland. Any celebrations being planned in the northern hemisphere? In Sydney,Aust.we are holding a big birthday party on Sun.March 19 and will have a line up of Transporters from 1950 to 2000 year models. If you don't turn up in a transporter you'll have to park outside so the car park will be wall to wall Transporters/Kombis/Pickups We did this two years ago for the 60th birthday of the Beetle and had several thousand Beetles show up.Made the local news here. My '92 will be part of the display and I'll be taking lots 'o pics with a digital camera. Anybody with a VW web page wanna host a few pics of a sea of Kombis?