Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:14:56 -0500
From:         walt spak <wnsopc3@3RDM.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 Vanagon - Rear Heater Core Problem:  Follow Up
Comments: To: VeeDubVan@AOL.COM

Lauren,

You might want to get to know Ken Wilford (kenwilfy@aol.com) who sells parts on this list. He is in Jersey, but I don't know where. Might be reasonably close.

The rear heater core can be bypassed easily. Just remove it and use a piece of 1/2" water pipe to connect the 2 hoses together. There should be a restrictor in one of the hoses. Tell the mechanic not to lose it. A tip for removing the heater core with out removing the rear seat is to use a hack saw blade and cut the lower front center section of the plastic cover off. You won't miss it and the cover can then be removed with out taking the seat out. You can see this piece if you remove the outer kick board from under the seat. Look at the core. The plastic cover just under the air outlet hole is what you cut out. This should save you a bunch of labor.

Order a new heater core from Ken or from The Bus Depot (www.busdepot.com)(sales@busdepot.com). I think I paid $70.00 for one. Be sure to buy a new valve and the O-ring, so you won't have to go back in there for another 15 years.

You may also want to access the archives about phosphate free antifreeze.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, Pa. wnsopc3@3rdm.net

----- Original Message ----- From: - Lauren Pelzer <VeeDubVan@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 7:34 PM Subject: '85 Vanagon - Rear Heater Core Problem: Follow Up