Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:03:37 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Conditioning Experience
Comments: To: McComas_Glenn <mccomas@SHORE.INTERCOM.NET>

> 1) Does the Vanagon A/C system provide the kind of cooling you get in a > newer domestic minivan? I've talked with a small sample of > in southern states of the US. They were not pleased with Vanagon A/C

I'm reasonably happy with mine (East coast, 90 degree humid Augusts, ''89 Westy), despite the fact that on a Westy there are no front vents (unlike on a passenger Vanagon). Due to the large interior volume of the van (and perhaps the lack of front vents) it takes a good 10 minutes to significantly cool the van down on a hot day, so it's not particularly useful for very short trips, but it's reasonably effective even on very hot days. (In other words, it reduces the interior temperature to comfortable but not icy levels.) My prior Westy ('85) had a smaller compressor and vents that were further back (compressor was enlarged early '86) and therefore it's AC was slightly less effective (although still acceptable to me). However the biggest difference I noticed is that with the AC running, my 1.9L '85 noticably lost power going up hills, whereas my 2.1L '89 is less affected by the additional strain of running the AC.

> 2) What are the List's recent experiences converting from R-12 to R-134a? > I heard from one List member who said his cost was ~ $600. I've read that > R-134a conversions may not produce the same cooling, even with a new > expansion valve. Any more on this?

I don't know why it would hit $600, unless most of it were labor and the cost of the R134a. All you need is a new receiver/dryer and an R134 conversion kit (o-rings and oil), which are well under $100 combined (at my prices). Regarding cooling efficiency, I too have heard this, and therefore opted to wait on converting mine. I have heard that more efficient alternatives than R134a are becoming available. Perhaps another listmember knows more about them?

Obligatory plug: I have brand new rear overhead a/c unit sections for passenger Vanagons for $249 (includes fan, evaporator, etc. but no front ducting or switches), brand new compressors from $179, receiver/driers for $59, condensors from $159, and even complete a/c retrofit kits for aircooled Vanagons. Keep me in mind as spring approaches.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW