Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:45:40 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: springs/ride

>Martin wrote: > > > > We have an 85 and 87Vanagon. Used to have a 72 Westy. It seems that each > > newer Van has a poorer ride! The 87 is a "Westburg" and rides terrible > > compared to the 85. We changed the shocks to KBs then to OEM shocks > with no > > improvement. Can we change the springs? Would this help? It seems that > > the shocks work, that is we don't bounce, but the bumps in Chicagoland > > winter roads jarr your teath and rattle your head - in short its darned > > unpleasant. Any ideas, could it be the springs? > > > > LJ

Martin, You may want to try one of the many spring/suspension shops in the greater Chicago area. Spring rates and shocks play a major role in ride comfort. I've hit a few potholes in a friends '89 and then driven the same road in my '82 westy. The westy took the bumps much better. I know that the westy has different springs than other Vanagons, so this isn't a direct apple to apple comparison, however weight may have played a major factor also. Back when I drove American vehicles, the heavy-duty vans and trucks were always a bone jarring ride when empty. This might be at the root of your loose teeth.

Good Luck Chris Smith Outer Chicagoland (so when will it rain enough to wash the streets?) '82 Westy '74 Thing Some cars that run