Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:24:11 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia CB Antenna

> >Whistle? Nope, the rubber seal is as tight as a bug in a rug, but you do >loose use of the window. :^( > >Range so so? Yep, but then unless you have a big huge antenna coming from >the top of the Van how can you get good range and still have it fit through >a car wash or in your garage? > >- Steve in Columbus

I've been following this thread and can no longer keep quiet. For the T.U.R.D. I have a Thule rack mounted just in front of the pop top to luggage rack seem. On the left side is a mirror mount with the C.B. antenna and on the right is a mirror mount with a 2m antenna. For pulling the van into the garage the antennas are unscrewed from the mounts and stored in the upper bunk. The only hassle was having to ground the rack to the body so that both antennas would work right. The CB antenna is a fiberglass "Stick" type with a tunable tip. The 2m is an A.S. base loaded 5/8 wave. Both are over feet tall, so going through drive-thrus is out if they have an awning. The range on both antennas is great! there is no substitute for an efficient antenna and proper elevation.

If I didn't have the rack (and for quite a while I didn't) I would go back to a good gutter clamp style mount. Get the good ones from your local amateur radio supply shop, not a truck stop, and don't forget a proper ground.

Just my $0.02

Chris Smith N9LCK '82 Westy '74 Thing Some cars that even run!