Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:11:50 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon safety and design?
Comments: To: Jennifer Jones <jj1@MAIL.TDS.NET>

At 03:22 PM 2/23/2000 , Jennifer Jones wrote: >His main issue (along with lack of power and crappy gas mileage) was safety >and design. He said Vanagons just fold up like an accordion when hit.

Well, no. Maybe he was thinking of a Microbus -- I think they're pretty tender in front. But the Vanagon is built extremely stiff to give as good as possible protection in the absence of a big crush space in front. This gives reasonable protection for occupants but does mean that (like truck-based SUVs) they will cause disproportionate damage to a regular sedan in a frontal collision. There are photos available (no doubt someone will post the URL) of a 50%-offset frontal collision test btw a Vanagon and a Volvo station wagon -- it's terrifying. The Vanagon looks sorta bruised and the Volvo is mush right back into the cabin, with driver HIC numbers in the 5000 range.

> He >basically said the design was terrible and that it was analogous to he and >I went going into a garage and building a car.

Hmph! The design is uniquely good in some ways especially rigged as a camper, ok in others, has definite trouble spots. But if you want the uniquely good you'll have to live with the rest. If I could design a vehicle half this good I'd go into the business. If your "friend" thinks a Caravan would make a useful camper, he must be a double amputee at the knees. As to the crappy mileage, they're a much more capacious vehicle than the Caravan and get somewhere approaching the same mileage. They *are* underpowered by American standards, especially the pre-'86 ones. Well, *really* especially the diesel ones. But they move ok once you adjust your mindset. They're rated to pull a 1300 lb trailer without brakes and a considerably larger one with brakes -- but I don't think pulling even a 1300 lb trailer through the mountains would be a lot of fun. It will do it, though, even if it means using second gear a lot.

> He specifically mentioned >the how everything was run by cables that run underneath the car, and that >these are susceptible to corrosion, etc.

Hmm. Lessee -- there's the handbrake cable -- actually it's a solid rod up to where it splits. And the throttle cable, sealed up pretty good. There's a speedometer cable to the left front wheel, never heard of them having any special problems. The shift linkage is made of pipe (all right, tubing). There are the usual electrical cables, i.e. bundles of wires. Nah...he's blowing smoke. He should be talking about coolant leaks from the heads, and transmission troubles, and clapped-out old fuel hoses spraying gas on the engine -- stuff that really *is* a problem. (Hint -- replace your fuel hoses, you may be sorry you didn't. Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com has a complete kit ready to go with instructions.)

If you need a Westy, buy it while there are some left!

By the way, you can probably insure it as an RV...mine is. Rates are better and you get coverage for the furniture which you otherwise wouldn't -- which offsets the lower rate of course.

cheers david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"