Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:11:34 -0500
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon safety and design?

> > Vanagons are supposedly safer when colliding with passenger cars since the > driver sits *above* the crush area. > > And yes, Vanagons do "fold up like accordions" when hit...BY A > MACK TRUCK! I > feel sorry for any Honda Accord or Toyota Camry that takes it on! >

Hey there,

Search the archives for my "Vanagon 1 Toyota 0" post last March. Some kids tried to break into someone else's car and the owner caught them and started after them. The high speed chase ended when the Toyota slammed into my parked Westy right in front of the driver's seat. There were 110 feet of skidmarks leading up to my car and the police estimated that they were travelling about 65 mph on my 25 mph street. The Toyota pushed my "in park" automatic with the parking brake on back 19 feet and lifted the front over the curb into my yard. The front of the Toyota was crushed flat and stuck underneath the front of the van. There was over $5000 worth of damage to the front of the van and it bent the frame where it attaches to the metal bar behind the bumper. The ONLY damage from the inside was a bent bracket inside the rear seat box where the wood joints had gotten knocked loose. You could not even tell from the inside of the van that it was hit unless you lifted the back seat up. Once the tow truck pulled the Toyota out from underneath the car, it was driveable. I had my local VW dealer check it out to see if they saw any reason why I couldn't drive it to a planned campout before I took it in for repairs. They told me it was good to go. Of course there were some strange wind noises and the alignment was shot but it drove okay. It has since been repaired and the casual observer would not notice that it had been in a wreck unless they crawled up under it and took a good look. These vans are stronger than they look. Of course we discovered that night that we were out of film so I was unable to get any pictures put if you could have seen it, you wouldn't be too worried about getting hit in the front (unless you were in the other car).

Steve

89 Westy