Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:39:34 -0600
From:         Katy <katya@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Vaangon VS Caravan-Buy mine

Hi Volks, (Iike that!) Couldn't stay out of this one.

> > Hello - I will update further on this in another message, but I am just on > > the brink of buying an '85 Westy with 75K original miles, in excellent > > condition (haven't seen it in person, but was sent about 5 pictures and it > > looks immaculate), for $6500. I'm planning on having the owner take it in > > for a compression test, leak-down test, and maint. inspection. Anyway... > > was just on the phone with my insurance agent to see about rates for the > > Westy. He spent about 20 minutes trying to talk me out of buying it!

Well I have a Dodge Caravan (89) and bought a Westy to replace it. (need the camping facilities) I have to say in it's defense, the Caravan does run "great" and does get "great" gas mileage. No rust either! But.....obviously I prefer, the room of the Westy. And..... after looking at the test crash pictures of the 'Volvo and the Vanagon-I'd naturally rather have been in the Vanagon, (Ugh....those pictures are scary!)

> > His main issue (along with lack of power and crappy gas mileage) was safety.......... > > musical) and want to tow a small trailer with equipment behind, he tried > > to talk me into getting an early '90s Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 L engine. Said > > the they got great gas mileage, were very safe, and had a lot of power.

Well I don't know about how "safe" they are but mine is a turbo and it goes!! 75 mph on the Omaha-Neb Interstate was no problem. (the only reason I drove that fast though, is because those truckers were either on my butt or passing me) So if you change your mind about the Westy I'm selling the Caravan at $1000 under Book- If not have your insurance agent call me and I'll sell it to him :o)

> > And, that I could convert the inside into some kind of camper.

Well I actually considered that because I like my Caravan, but.......cooking on my knees is not my forte.

Katy 84 Westy (Ozcar)