Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:05:48 -0500
From:         Dave C <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Antifreeze Sauna
Comments: To: VeeDubVan@AOL.COM

They called today and told me that it was going >to take longer than expected because (and here is my concern) they need to >take out the seats and pull back the carpeting to get to where the steam is >coming in.

I would wonder if they are trying to charge you for unnecessary work or just don't have a clue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. It's been a couple of years since we replaced our rear heater core. (I'm looking at pg 80.16 of Bentley, Additional heater, under rear bench seat [All Water Cooled]) The steam could really be from a couple of places realistically. Either: the heater core itself OR A hose leading up to the core The core itself should be accessible by removing the cover, disconeccting the hoses, take out the heater box and then remove the core from within. The hoses are a fairly short run between the grommets at the sheet metal to the core. My hunch is that there is a leak possibly spraying on the fan. That could explain the volume of steam in such a short time. It's hard to tell if the fan is interior or exterior from the diagram and it's been a long time since I looked directly at it. Might do that tomorrow :-) I'd see if they have really looked at the hoses as culprit before pulling out all that at your cost. Have they pressure tested the system and bent some of those hoses around to see if there is a small leak? I bet there is. If you have old (original) hoses you may want to just go ahead and replace them all now. Its a lot easier than doing it beside the road-at night-in the rain-during a snowstorm, etc. Let us know,

Dave C. Williamsburg, VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--= '85 GL Westy (His) '91 Cabriolet (Hers)