Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:43:57 -0800
From:         Jim <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon safety and design? (addendum)

Jennifer,

As additional point;

I subscribe to a professional automotive technicians list. This list is a forum for the 'pros' to ask for advise from other 'pros'. Because I have an AMC Eagle as a winter beater, I get the Chrysler postings as well as the European postings. The majority of these Chrysler postings are problems with various permutations of the "minivan".

I've been subscribed to this list for about four years now, and I wouldn't purchase a Chrysler minivan based only on the number of posts concerning them. For example: in this evening's postings, of the five Chrysler posts, three are regarding Voyagers. '96, Transmission, no lockup, '89, Engine, poor idle, '91, steering. Below is a typical post.

> 1991 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 L > > Trans: Automatic > Mileage: 150,343 miles > VIN: 2P4GH253XMR236491 > > Affected Item: steering > Condition: noise/loud growling > > ____________________________________________________________ > > Hello All > > I have this Voyager that is really being a pain in my butt. > When taking left turns under a load (only when > accelerating) a very loud growling sound comes from the > right side. The wheel bearings,struts,tierods,bushings,etc > have been check by 3 different techs. I am suspecting the > upper strut mounts but I am not seeing any play or noise > when on a lift. The other thing that I saw was that the > motor mounts have some play. When I try to duplicate the > noise on a life it will not happen but when the vehical is > on the ground the noise is there. You start hearing is at > 10mph and up, as speed increase the noise does also. Please > help. > We know where the problem areas in the Vanagon are. With the Daimler-Chrysler product, it appears that ALL areas are potential problem areas. And as with the Vanagon, the 'factory/dealer techs' haven't a clue.

Jim