Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:59:44 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: trailer hitches

> > What does the list think? What is > > the BEST design to install? Where is it available?

> I believe Bus Depot has hitches

Yes, about 5 left at this point with no more coming soon. These are genuine Volkswagen hitches that are a dealer-installed option on South African Vanagons. They are the only genuine VW hitch made for the Vanagon, and I'm the only one in the U.S. who has them. They mount into existing holes in the frame (where the bumper brackets go, but these extend much deeper into the frame, almost becoming part of the frame itself) and replace the bumper brackets. Work with both metal and plastic bumpers. They come with a 2" ball. Since the hitch uses a European style ball-to-hitch mount, use of U.S. hitch balls of other sizes is not possible. However, several list members have had local hitch places weld a receiver hitch to the unit, at a cost of about $70. Unlike most Vanagon hitches, which are far too lightweight to handle a heavy trailer, this hitch is INCREDIBLY heavy duty, and would be well suited to modification to receiver-style if a 2" ball did not suffice for you. It is safe to say that with this hitch, the limiting factor will be your Vanagon's towing capacity, not the hitch.

Price is $179 plus shipping, part # S121 on website (or you can order by phone or email). They are now backordered in South Africa, so once these five are gone I won't see more for quite some time. (Lead times from South Africa are incredibly long even without a backorder; with one they can approach an eternity.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW