Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:31:31 -0500
From:         Steven Shane <s.shane@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Trailer Hitch Solution!!! & BYE BYE!

Greetings Volks! Steve in Columbus here. With all this talk of Hitches and such I figured I should repeat my post from last year on my "suggestion" for a Hitch solution.

Read on and enjoy! - Steve Shane

PS: I will be doing a US Westy tour starting March 1st and then over in Europe for a year or so via backpack (unless I can find a Westy there... anyone selling or want to do a US exchange?)

SO I guess this is goodbye my friends. Thank you so much for you advice, hospitality and internet friendship. I wish you all the best.

- Steve

---------------------------

Greetings Volks, A few weeks back I ordered one of Dennis Haynes' (dhaynes57@email.msn.com) towing hitches for my 87 Westy. For those of you whom are interested, I would like to share my experience.

First of all, I was in no hurry to put a hitch on my beloved Westy so I had PLENTY of time to do the research. I discovered my options were...

A. Going to a parts store and trying to do a hitch myself from what is available over the counter.

B. Taking it to Uhaul and having them do it.

C. Having something custom made (Like Dennis' Hitch) and doing the rest myself.

D. NOW you can choose the Bus Depot option, but... "Since the hitch uses a European style ball-to-hitch mount, use of U.S. hitch balls of other sizes is not possible." (No Thanks!) See post Re: trailer hitches from Thu, 24 Feb 2000 from The Bus Depot

Choice A proved to be ridiculous. Either the main makers of hitch systems did not have solid hitches for the Vanagon, or they had a basic hitch that mounted to the two tow hook loops on the back of the van. This solution does NOT install confidence (IMHO) and has been know (so I have heard) to eventually break the tow hooks if you use the hitch to carry loads such as a bike rack, etc...

Choice B Seemed attractive at first, because for about $150 installed Uhaul would take care of all my problems, BUT.... They only had a hitch with a ball attached to it (NOT a 2 inch receiver type) and when I actually talked to the manufacturer of the hitch sold by Uhaul, it turns out that it too only attaches via the tow hooks on the back of the Van.

Then I get an Email from Dennis Haynes. For $225 delivered he has a kick ass hitch that replaces the tow down loops and mounts securely to the Vanagon frame using SIX 22mm bolts, (AKA NO DRILLING) has a two inch receiver hitch and is built so solid it looks like it could withstand more abuse than the rear bumper.

After chatting with Dennis, I ordered one up and in about two weeks it arrived. Dennis did a fantastic job packing it, (I mean it was borderline fanatical!) and even though it was delivered through the mail, it had not a single scratch. (GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION) This sucker was a brick! It was heavy, solid and very well made, and even came with a flat black finish that makes the hitch almost invisible on the Van.

Installation was simple and other than a few slots that need to be cut in the bumper (if you want to reinstall it after installing the hitch) nothing required any fancy tools or fancy brains. You literally just unbolt the tow hooks, slide the hitch in and bolt it into place. It took my sorry ass about an hour to do. (and I'm slow) The bumper on the other hand may take a little longer, but I want to make sure it is done right since removing two small portions are in order.

I have yet to install my new hitch mount bike rack and give it a test drive, but I will post those details under the name "Towing Hitch Solution2!!!" when I have more info.

(UPDATE!!!!) Have had it for about a year now, and It works great!!! Mounted the bumper as well, and it really has no problems, just measure twice and cut once! (end UPDATE)

So far I am quite impressed with this hitch, and it is far superior to anything I have seen on the "standard" market, including the hitches sold by Bus Depot and my favorite vendor GoWesty.

For those of you whom are Spec minded the towing capacities for this hitch follow the same rules for any Vanagon limits, and a complete rundown can be obtained from Dennis (see above email) or Uhaul (http://www.uhaul.com) if needed.

No, Dennis does NOT have a web site. Don't ask me why, But he said he does monitor the Vanagon list so if you are trying to get a hold of him, if you make enough noise, chances are he will contact you.

So, in conclusion, if you want to save yourself the weeks and weeks of research I did on finding the truly BEST solution for towing, involving the least amount of bucks and labor. Go with one of Dennis' hitches. If they tow as half as good as they seem made, I will never question the security of my cargo. And that, to me is worth the extra $100 any day any time. Always do it right the first time... then go enjoy it.

Thanks for your time. Steven Shane (87 Westy) Columbus, Ohio s.shane@pobox.com

COPY OF DISCLAIMER THAT COMES WITH THE HITCH Notice: This trailer hitch was designed to allow the mounting of many accessories such as bicycle racks and luggage carriers to the rear of your Vanagon. It was not designed nor intended to be used for towing anything in excess of the Vehicle Manufacturers recommendations. For most Vanagons, this is 2000 pounds with a maximum tongue weight of 150 pounds. This hitch must never be used with a "Weight Distributing" type of coupling. Both the hitch and the vehicle can be damaged with disastrous results. In addition, most states require that any towed load in excess of 1000 pounds be equipped with its own braking system. Your vehicle will handle differently with a trailer in tow or with a load mounted on the hitch. The weight capacity that the vehicle can carry must be reduced by an amount equal to the tongue weight on the hitch. For loads that are mounted and extended off the hitch, the weight of that load should be doubled, and then subtracted from the vehicle capacity. The Vanagon is not designed to be used as a "Tow" vehicle. The Engine, Transmission, and Brakes are excessively stressed when used for this purpose. Drive accordingly.

This hitch was also designed to be easy to install. The installation requires no holes to be drilled on the vehicle. The only cutting that needs to be done is for the side brackets to extend below the bumper. This can be done with a hacksaw, although I prefer to use a jigsaw or cut-off wheel. The hitch is supplied with new hardware. The mounting bolts that attach the unit to the frame are Grade 12.9; the bumper mounting bolts are grade 10.9. These are high strength fasteners that are plated to resist rust and corrosion. It is highly recommended that either an Anti-Seize or Lock-tight are used on the bolt threads to allow for future disassembly. Note that the 12mm bolts used to mount the hitch on the van are not the same thread pitch of as the originals. They are not interchangeable. The hitch will not need to be removed for any normal servicing of the vehicle.