Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:17:43 -0800
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1l to TDI conversion

"Penberthy, Thomas" wrote: > > Has anyone done this? > > I'm totally into the idea of having my Vanagon purring along with more HP > and still manage over 25mpg on the highway! I talked to my local VW guy and > he said he thought it'd be cost-prohibitive to do it (not a dealer, just an > honest mechanic).

It's not cheap. The engine is about half the cost though. It looks like this is gonna run me about $8000 without labor (but with tranny regearing on a syncro tranny). I am still trying to figure out if I can do the conversion myself or if my garage is too small to do all the work involved (dropping the syncro tranny has become the biggest issue as well as the leak in my garage roof over the area I would need - the house is rented and the landlord is slow to fix things). There are a number of issues you have to solve, most of which you will need to do some business with one of a ew German companies.

Hmmm, that $ amount is without the external chip doggle thingy for power/torque increases as well... But, I will be able to run my van on biodiesel (now, do I have the room to produce it). It does however include a nifty water-air intercooler which is probably not necessary but will leave more room in the engine compartment for the dual remote oil filter setup...

I really wish I spoke vanagon german...

dave