Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:26:56 -0500
From:         Steven Shane <s.shane@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trailer Hitch question
Comments: To: Woody Halsey <WoodyHalsey@compuserve.com>

>Dear Steve, > >Thanks for re-posting your thoughts on hitches. I was about to order one >from BusDepot, but now I'm hesitating ... can you explain why the 2" ball >is not a good solution? All I intend to haul is a light sailboat and maybe >a little wagon full of brush from time to time. I'm not sure of the >difference between the familiar ball and the "receiver hitch" mentioned. >Also, do you now if the SA version sold by BusDepot (for $179+shipping) >requires removing or cutting the bumper?

Woody, Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the BusDepot hitch is a FINE solution for all those who just need a TWO inch European Ball hitch (Whatever "European Ball" means...) But I do know that if you get a hitch with a 2" receiver hitch (IE. a 2 inch square that you can install anything into) Balls, bike racks, tire mounts, you name it) You have a lot more versatility. And yes, you can have a 2 inch square receiver welded on to the BusDepot hitch, but by then it costs the same as the Dennis hitch. (see original post) so you may as well just do it right the first time and never worry.

As far as the bumper needing to be cut slightly to install the VW/BusDepot hitch, I have no idea. Any list members care to share their experience???? But cutting the bumper for the Dennis hitch took me one hacksaw and 5 min. It was really no big deal. When I first read that...I too, I thought it was going to be much more of a problem than it turned out to be. (Heck, and I'm a computer monkey, I know very little about mechanics)

Sorry, gotta run. I have a zillion things to do before my 12 month USA/Europe trip.

- PEACE GANG!

Steve in Columbus