Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:21:30 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: ref:  heater switches
Comments: To: ENYAB325@AOL.COM

Never heard of the rear one having a problem but on the front the whole circuit including switch is overloaded at high speed. My solution is to run a separate fused circuit for high speed, switched by a relay. You cut the high-speed wire from the switch and use it to supply the relay control voltage, then use the output of the relay to drive the other side of that wire. Low and medium speeds are handled well by the original circuit, high speed now only draws milliamps for relay drive and the power comes from a separate circuit. Then look and see if someone didnt' put a 25 amp fuse in the original circuit, and if so replace it with the proper 16 amp fuse. Should be easy to find the fuse, it's the one where the cover is melted over it...

david

At 01:40 PM 2/25/2000 , ENYAB325@AOL.COM wrote: >Hello: > Ron here from Glen Burnie Maryland. Presently own 1987 Syncro Westy. >1st westy but 3rd vanagon. 1984 & 1985 vanagons. In each vehicle I`ve had >either or both front and rear heater switches actually melt and become >inoperable. Is this >something that other vanagon owners are experiencing or is it that I`m having >a bit >of bad luck on all three vehicles? > Would appreciate any suggestions you could give me. Thanks alot Ron >enyab325@aol.com

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"