Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:45:43 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Amish and polution
Comments: To: Dana Morphew <kdm@whidbey.com>

I am following a different breakin schedule than most might follow.

On a new engine, there is a certain amount of "Wearing in" that needs to occur. On a microscopic basis, parts need to "seat". That is, high and low points need to wear off so components fit closer together. This is especially true of the seat of the rings against the cylinder walls. Typically cylinder walls are harder than the rings and the rings wear to seat against the cylinder walls. To get a sense of this, some time rub your fingers over the honing marks in a new cylinder barrel. You can really feel the roughness. Then rub your fingers over the cylinder interior of one that is over 100,000 miles. It will be as smooth as glass.

Detergent oils on break-in are no-no's because they prevent the wearing in from taking place to the degree necessary.

So, I ran this new engine for two hours on 30 wt. non-detergent oil. Then changed the oil (again 30 wt) and filter. Oil wears out, and the long chain molecules break, reducing the oils lubricating efficiency. It is worse under new engine conditions because those rough parts are shearing the oil molecule more, and there are metal particles being sheared off metal surfaces that affect the lubrication. Changing oil now gives me fresh unworn oil with no metal in it plus a clean filter.

Now I have run it 500 miles and things should be well seated. I am changing filter and oil, the new oil being 20w40 Mobil1. The change over to the detergent oil will increase the slipperyness and stop/reduce further wear.

I am following this procedure for two reasons.

One, it was recommended by Robert Lilley, who went through a special engine rebuild and break-in process to achieve a very long lived engine. Granted, it's an experiment, but it was logical to me.

Two, based on my own experience as an aircraft mechanic, it makes sense to me. One of the most onerous areas of aircraft engine overhaul work is getting a good break-in on a newly rebuilt engine. If parts don't seat in correctly on that initial run-in on a new engine, that engine will be crap for it's entire life. It will have a higher than normal oil consumption, it will run consistently hotter, and it will have a shorter life. And when a customer pays $12 - $15 grand for an engine, you want to make damn sure that it is right. There is nothing worse than haveing a customer bad-mouth you all over the place for poor workmanship on the one hand, and on the other hand have to deal with an unending series of ongoing warranty problems because the engine was not broken in correctly.

Been there, done that.

So, I am applying what I know to my engine, hoping to extend the life of it. When I bought my "88GL it had approx. 76,000 miles on it. At 82,000 miles the engine failed. My 85GL had 205,000 miles on the original engine. Never any major problems...not even the leaky head gaskets. I am very easy on machinery. I beleive that if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Abuse it, and it gets even by quitting at the most inopportune time.

Over time my experiences in maintenance with the 88GL have told me that it had been abused. It was not obvious at first, but things began to happen, and finally I had the engine to blow. Actually a hole burned down the side of the #3 Piston. Looked like the piston began to gall along one side of the cylinder wall and finally it burned through. That pressurzed the case, blowing oil seals and dumping oil overboard, making all kinds of smoke.

Ironically, the engine never ran hot (by the gage) nor did the over-heat light come on on the heat gage. The engine was still running smoothly when I stopped, but there were great clouds of smoke, and oil was all over the back of the van and dripping from underneath the engine.

So, I want this one right. I don't really expect to ever buy another vehicle, unless it's another vanagon...maybe a different model, but no other make or model. So I expect it to last.

John Rodgers "88GL Driver