Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:20:46 -0500
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: broken exhaust stud
Comments: To: gbasey <gbasey@LINK2000.NET>

gbasey wrote: > > First, I want to thank everyone for their help with my previous exhaust > questions. > > Unfortunately I have a new qustion (of course). When removing my exhaust > system I found that one of the exhaust studs was broken off. I have removed > it and searched the bus depot site for a replacement. All they list is an > exhaust stud for a '72 - '79 bus. > > Will this stud work in my '80 vanagon 2.0l engine? > > There are no local VW dealers and my local FLAPS just laugh when I ask for > aircooled parts. > > Thanks for your help, > > Gary > > '80 westy (longing for the road)

Gary

the early type 2 exhaust stud was 8x1.25x56 this was one year on the 72 engines. they then went to a 9x8x1.25x56 this is 9mm at the end that goes into the head and 8 mm for the nut. these studs are hardend and were used in air cooled vanagons also. these are not fun to remove soaking helps and some heat helps. drilling should be last on your list of ways to remove it. I use a collet type stud extractor made by snap on and its still not fun. Bob http://www.bostonengine.com