Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2000 10:53:21 -0800
From:         Stuart <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stuck Cylinders: Any New "Tricks"?
Comments: To: "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>

The only thing you haven't tried is the universal wrench, HEAT! Use a propane torch to slowly heat the top of the cylinder and the head (keep it moving), and keep tapping! Forget the dog part, it won't help!

You might also get a piece of 1/4" x 1" bar stock about 1 1/2 feet long, drill a hole in the middle, and bold it on to one of the rocker arm studs (vertically). Then you can grip each end and gently "rock" the head loose without pulling it.

At some point you might just decide that you are past the point of saving any time or effort, and just pull the whole mess off the pistons.

Good luck.

"Joe L." wrote: > > Well, I did the right gaskets last year and now I am deep inside the > left. The project proceeds splendidly but for one thing; those %&$&%^ > Cylinders are stuck to the &^%$^ Head and refuse to budge. > When this happened last time the only "technique" for taking them off was > much prying, pounding, drowning in penetrating oil, waiting, tapping, > cussing, swearing, kicking the dog, saying to hell with it, going to bed and > getting up early the next day to start in again. This to be repeated until > the cylinders finally quit. The last time I think it took some 5 days of > this and things look no better this time. I have been unable to come up with > any ideas that do not involve high explosives so I thought I would poll the > listees. > Anyone have any "techniques" or "Tricks" for seperating these things?. > > PS > I really dont want to remove the head with the cylinders. I know there are > some tricks that will get them back past the rings but Murphy lurks and I am > not ready to go that route quite yet.