Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:00:59 -0500
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      CRACKED BLOCK 2.1-- Expert Opinions??
Comments: To: Stuart <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>

>Good luck, and that is definitely a weird one! That area is not subject >to any particular stress, so it is hard to guess why it cracked.

Hmmmm . . . sounds like defective manufacture. Defective metals, defective casting, defective moulding, defective pouring process, or something. Wonder if someone could produce some expert opinion evidence to back this up. In a non-stress area of the block, seems to speak for itself that something else was wrong with it that had little or nothing to do with the operation of the engine or maintenance, etc. A block should be in service "for life" and guaranteed against cracking in a non-wear zone as long as it has not been overheated or subjected to improper maintenance. Am I right here? It would be very interesting to glean the factory production line records of this particular run of engine blocks. The same operator may have had a bunch of rejects, or his blocks may have had the same problems. Or it could have been a bad batch of metals on that production run? There has to be a "right" way and a "wrong" way to make a block. It it's not RIGHT, then its wrong. Something in between those two could cause problems down the line. Example: block was cooled improperly after casting, or had an air pocket in the molten metal or similar? Or what else, experts?

HK

Still questioning authority. Still stirring up trouble from his comfortable easy chair