Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:02:16 EST
From:         Benjamin Tan <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Porshe Alloy Wheels on a Vanagon?
Comments: To: tincat@relaypoint.net

Hi John,

FAT Performance in Orange County does those rotor conversions all day long. I have a converted 914. The fronts are stock 911S. Rears are redrilled 914 hubs. Rear rotors are stock 911.

The problem with the redrill job for Vanagons is necessity of using of non stock parts. In this case, modified rotors and hubs. I want easy access to replacement parts. You have to do the redrilling every time you need new ones. My translation = not easy access. Plus the guys at FAT aren't too helpful unless you have an early 5-lug or 4-lug VW pattern.

Have you looked at a 911 front hub lately? The set-up is very similar to an adapter. They have an aluminum fixture bolted to the rotor and hub assembly. This is what the wheels are bolted onto. Although the 911 is a much lighter vehicle, most (especially the Turbos) are subjected to incredible cornering forces which I would never dream of doing to a Vanagon. They seem to hold-up fine. I'll be using steel plates. I feel pretty comfortable with the arrangement. It is not necessarily the way to go for everybody. However, I believe it's the most practical method the suit my requirements.

BenT San Francisco