Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:39:15 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: can someone help me?
Comments: To: tina <tina@BENTONREA.COM>

Tina:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vanagon ownership! You will find this to be a great community and a terrific resource. I have yet to talk to or meet a List member that I didn't think was really a great person. That being said, let me give you my $0.02 worth on some of your questions:

#1 - Head gaskets on a wasserboxer (water-cooled Vanagon) are a plague. Blown head gaskets are a known problem, especially if the cooling system is not maintained properly. Did you buy this van from a VW dealer? Was the coolant in the reservoir blue, orange, green, or what color? Bottom line, the head gaskets should NOT have blown in less than a year, unless you drive 80,000 miles a year and don't change the coolant.

#2 - With rare exceptions, you are probably better off NOT having the car worked on by the dealer, unless you are forced to because of the warranty. Even then, I would suggest that you do research and go to them well armed with information about exactly what you think the problem is and how they should address it. (The list can be very helpful with this)

#3 - The sagging is common on Westies. Almost all lean to the drivers side due to the weight of the cabinets and camping equipment. The only solution that I know of is to replace the springs (or have them re-stretched by a spring shop). I have some mild leaning in my Syncro Westy, and I am in the process of replacing the springs partly for this reason.

There are a lot of list members in the Sea-Tac area, I am sure you can find some help. Good luck and welcome to the list.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: tina [mailto:tina@BENTONREA.COM] Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 5:25 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: can someone help me?

hi, I have a 1990 vanagon camper GL and I purchased it from a dealer (yes, I paid to much) anyway, I am getting it from the shop today cuz it had a blown head gasket. I was told they were new when I purchased the van. I have kept up on all the maintenance and found it odd that it was blown since they were new (a year ago). I have an extended warranty on it, but it will end soon. The other thing is.. it sags a bit to the left (where all the cabinets/fridge/stove etc are.) You can tell from looking at the vehicle from the back. Is there suppose to be a sag due to the weight? or is it really suppose to be perfectly even & straight? What I really need is someone to take a look at it & tell me what all should be fixed. or what parts need replacing. It is my first van and I really LOVE it. I just don't want to get screwed out of fixing or replacing what should be fixed/replaced before my warranty runs out...considering I paid quite a bit for the van it should be in tip top shape & I want to be sure it is before my warranty is out. I am in eastern WA between Tri-cities & Yakima. If there is anyone out there who would be willing to take a look for me, I will pay them. or, if you know of someone who would, PLEASE PLEASE let me know. thanks, tina 90 vanagon camper GL

[text/html]