Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:24:38 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: 1985 Vanagon - Replacing Engine
Comments: To: VeeDubVan@AOL.COM

My $.02:

When it comes to specialized engines (and transmissions) like the Vanagon has, stick with those who have the most experience, and that means a high quality "production" rebuilder. No line mechanic can afford to take the time to do these rebuilds as well as someone who does it everyday, nor do they know all the tricks. Take advantage of the efficiency, expertise, access to parts, and reputation of either Bob at Boston Engines (or Daryl at AA Transaxle when the time comes). It is worth the hassle of dealing with shipping.

I think Ken Wilford of Vanagain will agree, I believe he installs engines built by Boston Bob, and agrees with my comments above. Using Ken will get you the best of both worlds, local service and an engine built by an expert who does nothing else.

Good luck!

- Lauren Pelzer wrote: > > Thanks, Alan. You are the second person to recommend Boston, but...I'm kind > of hoping to keep it local. Van Again in Millville, NJ isn't too far....I > just got it towed back home from S. Jersey on Thursday for over $130. > > I am leaning toward a place in Wyndmoor, PA, called Wagenwerks. > (WWW.Wagenwerks.com). I'm waiting for a call back from them, as well as from > Lehmann's Auto in Bechtelsville PA. Any thoughts here? > > The previous owner happens to be my father, and he just told me that the > dealer told him that this Vanagon has a 4-liter Porsche engine. Four liters > seems awfully big, but he says the large displacement was their big selling > point (obviously...). Now, my Vanagon easily creeps up to 80 mph on the > hiway, but...I don't know, it just seems like I'd be getting a LOT more power > out of this 4 speed with a 4.0. > > I guess it's time to dig out the paperwork... > > Thanks in advance for any input! > -Lauren > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon - Replacing Engine > Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:33:47 -0600 > From: arbosch@ra.rockwell.com > To: VeeDubVan@AOL.COM > > Yes, you do have a 1.9L - unless the DPO (D**n Previous Owner) had the > engine swapped at some point. > > If you're going to go with a complete "new" engine, consider Boston Engine. > The guy that runs the place - Bob Donalds - is a list member and all-around > swell guy. They have a terriffic warranty and seem to provide tech > assistence free. They have a web sight - www.bostonengine.com - that's > worth a look. Understand that there are lower priced engine rebuilders or > remanufacturers out there. Some folks say avoid GEX whilst others say > avoid AVP. Get the opinion of the list. You'll get a mailbox full, I'm > sure. > > Too, there's a guy that's relatively local to you - Philly / So. Jersey - > that is a good mechanic. He MAY be able to get you a good deal on a > rebuild. Or you can take your bus to him and have him do the rebuild > himself. His name is Ken Wilford - visit him at www.vanagain.com > > Good luck and keep us informed... > > Alan Bosch > & Phred ('88 Wolfsburg) > Rochester, NY > > - Lauren Pelzer <VeeDubVan@AOL.COM>@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> on 02/28/2000 > 02:13:13 PM > > Please respond to VeeDubVan@AOL.COM > > Sent by: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > cc: > Subject: 1985 Vanagon - Replacing Engine > > Hi, all! > I've been told my '85 has either a cracked block or a blown head gasket. > It > blows white smoke and loses both oil (from below) and coolant (from above) > when it runs. > > Anyway, I'm thinking I'll go the whole 9 and get a new engine. I'm calling > around, getting prices. I just want to make sure I'm asking all the right > questions. > > Any pointers?? > > Also...do I definitely have the 1.9? How can I tell? > > Thanks!! > -Lauren

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext. 8208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://cobaltgroup.com http://UsedEquipNet.com