Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:32:38 EST
From:         RAlanen@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Hesitatation - GOOD NEWS !
Comments: cc: Edward_Morrell@jdedwards.com

Well, I finally went about tackling this situation and I have won ! Nice steady idle now and no more hesitation when beginning to accelerate from a stopped position. So here's what I did and what I found. Following the many suggestion offered up I checked the idle switch first and found it to be out of adjustment. Seems the plastic cam affair that actuates the switch at the closed and full open throttle positions was worn and by moving the adjustment the switch can be brought back to proper actuation. Switch must be actuated on full closed and full open positions. While I had the throttle valve out I cleaned it with lacquer thinner as the shaft was hanging up just before the closed position. This cleaned up all the built up carbon in there and the shaft moved smoothly afterwards. I noticed no slop in the shaft as others have reported. My '87 Westy has 278250 km on the clock. After reinstalling the throttle body I went to look at the AFM. Took off the plastic cover, YIKES, what a job to do this without damaging that cover !!! Well, after much fiddling I got off without too much damage. Looked pretty clean in there but I cleaned the contacts, wipers and tracks with lacquer thinner and blew off with compressed air. Put the air cleaner assembly back in place with cover still off the AFM and started the engine to see what was up before digging any farther. Let it warm up until the temp needle was up to normal operating temperature then blipped the throttle a few time and low and behold the idle settled down to a cool 1000 rpms and stayed put. So I let it run for about 15 minutes and watched the air flow meter work, pretty cool ! Everything seemed fine so I put the plastic cover back on the AFM with some GOOP and went for a good half hour ride. No more hesitation ! Nice steady idle ! Yes, got it ! So simple a fix, and I hate to think of what some nice Volkswagen garage would have done and charged to fix this problem. Other things to mention I had previously installed a new oxy sensor and Temp II sensor. Only things not replaced yet in this circuit are the idle control valve and idle stabiliser control unit. Both of these items appear to be working so I'm leaving well enough alone for now.

Cheers

Frank Condelli '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Almonte, On Visit me on the web.......> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/RAlanen/index.html">Frank, Rita & April's Website </A>