Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:44:59 -0800
From:         "Johnson, Darrell" <JohnsonD@SYBRONDENTAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Conditioning Experience (long)
Comments: To: "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>

Ken and all,

In regards to "(can you say "compressor failure" or "hose explosion?")" The previous owner converted the A/C system on my Carat to 134a. Seems to be ok so far- kids in the back complain of being too cold. Am I looking at a disaster waiting to happen?

Is there a good round of preventative maintenance that can prevent my 134a A/C system from acting like the reactor in a Russian sub? Should I convert "back" to this Freeze 12 system?

No offence intended to any Vanagon-driving Russian naval officers,

Darrell Johnson '90 Vanagon Carat Mission Viejo, CA

-----Original Message----- From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM [mailto:KENWILFY@AOL.COM] Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 6:46 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Air Conditioning Experience (long)

Glenn, I did quite a few R-12 to R-134a conversions on Vanagons last summer (both styles of AC: the older 83-86 style and the newer 86-91 style). There are several schools of thought on just how crazy to go with a conversion with some folks replacing everything in the system except the evaporator and condensor (this was the original recommendation from the EPA literature I have read) while others try to just put the R-134a in the system and hope for the best. Most AC shops tend to land somewhere in the middle. Here is what I do: Replace all o-rings. Flush out all old mineral oil with A/C flush Replace expansion valve (most of the time these are kinda crappy looking inside) Replace reciever/dryer Replace fittings and put on new stickers Replace oil with Ester oil Pull a hard vaccuum on the system for at least 30 mins. Recharge the system and check for leaks. To do this right it takes about 6-8 hours. Results: On earlier Vanagons (83-86.5) the system gets nice and very cool, but the real problem seems to lie in the fact that the blower motors in the evaporator housing can't move enough of the cool air into the van's interior. I have been thinking of adding another fan, and perhaps this summer I will try this. On later Vanagons (86.5-91) the blower fans move the air sufficiently to cool down the entire van with no problem. On a passenger van this works very well. On a Westfalia is is OK because the air has to be pushed up to the front of the van by the evaporator housing that is over the rear seat. It will cool the van, but the folks in the back tend to get frozen if the folks in the front are cool. I have thought about tapping a couple small air ducts into the evaporator housing and connecting this to the air ducts that run above the sink/sliding door on either side of the later model campers. This would allow you to put a vent right above the head of the driver and passenger and would probably be a big help.

R134a vs R12. There is really no comparison here. The R-134a just doesn't cool as well and puts more of a strain on the system as it operates at higher pressures (can you say "compressor failure" or "hose explosion?") I have found a third alternative (I will now don my fire proof plaid undergarments). I use a refrigerant called Freeze-12. It is made by a Johnsons which is a company that has been in the AC field for a long time and has a good reputation. Check out http://www.airconditioning.com or http://www.technicalchemical.com/freon.htm for more info on all of the alternative refrigerants out there. Most of the alternatives use some sort of propane or butane (can you say "Kaboom"?). Freeze-12 doesn't and that is what initially turned me on to it. It is a blend of R-134a and another refrigerant that makes the R-134a work at a lower pressure (making it cool better and not trash out your aging system). I have used it with great success this past summer on the following vehicles: 86 Jetta TD (dropped in replaced R-12) worked great/real cold all summer. 86 Dodge 16 passenger van (dropped in replaced R12) worked great until already leaking hoses leaked it out. Got us through the summer. 87 Wolfsburg Vanagon (customer)- (converted over to ester oil and all new seals/dryer) worked well all summer. 91 Carat Vanagon (mine)- (converted over to ester oil and all new seals and dryer) worked great all summer. Made my normally hot Maroon Vanagon a pleasure to drive in the hottest weather (105 F is usually the hottest we get here in S. NJ).

The other nice thing is that you only add 90% of the amount of R-12. I usually just add it until pressures look right for R-12 at that ambient temperature and it works great. You do need a licence to buy Freeze-12 (see http://www.epatest.com/ to get yours!) but I have heard that within the next year you will need a licence to buy R-134a too, plus you can't really do a good conversion without some shop tools (vacuum pump at least and these aren't cheap) so it is probably best to let a shop do the conversion just insist on them using the Freeze-12 stuff (they will thank you later when they see how good it works). Freeze-12 is slightly more expensive per can than R-134a but not much (I think it was around $7 a can this last summer).

So I hope this answers most A/C questions. If you have any other questions feel free to email me.

Thanks, Ken Wilford (certifiable A/C Tech :) http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242