Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:20:58 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: oxygen sensor and alternator lights
Comments: To: Dave C <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>

But he said they didn't go out until he reved up the engine (as I remember).... sure mine come on at start up, but they go off by themselves, without reving. Bill -----Original Message----- From: Dave C <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 2:16 PM Subject: Re: oxygen sensor and alternator lights At 1:27 PM -0600 2/22/2000, HERMANN DE BOER wrote: >When I start my van both the oxygen and the alternator LEDs stay on until I >step on the gas a little. Is that normal? >Hermann >87 Westy I believe that I remember reading in my owners manual that this is normal. Served as a continuity/bulb checks if I remember correctly. So it would seem that if this doesn't happen, is when to worry. Went and got the owners manual and sure enough, them lights illuminating @ startup is a good thing. From pg 27 1985 Vanagon Owners Manual 4-Alternator warning light This light comes on when the ignition is turned on and should go out after the engine is started. If the light does not go out after starting and revving-up the engine momentarily or lights up while driving, there may be a malfunction in the electrical system or the v-belt to the alternator may be loose or broken. 6-Oxygen sensor light (USA only) The OXS indicator light comes on when the ignition is turned on and should go out after the engine is started. Bla, bla, bla. 7-When the ignition is turned on, the oil pressure warning light comes on for a bulb check. It should so out after the engine has started. If the oil pressure warning light does not light up when turning the ignition on or if it does not go out after starting the engine, contact the VW dealer immediately so they can schedule enormously expensive service that may or may not fix your problem. Bla, bla, bla. Later, Dave C. Williamsburg, VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--= '85 GL Westy (His) '91 Cabriolet (Hers)

[text/html]