Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:02:47 +0200
From:         Juha Koivisto <juha.koivisto@TEPCOMP.FI>
Subject:      Diesel V-belt mystery

From the purchase I have had some symptoms with my 1,6 TD but I haven't pay much attention to them because everything has been working quite well.

Symptoms: - you have to kick pedal before charge light goes off - front radiator didn't get warm even at summer time - temp is just right side of the led.

Before we started our winter holiday trip I checked alternator v-belt and found it necessary to change. I went to shop and they sold me two belts instead of one existing. One is for cooling pump and one for alternator. Before I have only one much longer belt which accidentally fits to the pulleys. Crank has 118/140 pulleys, cooling pump has 100/140 and alternator 74 mm pulley.

I didn't wonder having only one belt because I thought the excess pulleys are for power steering and for second alternator or similar. Either haven't I found any pics from Bentley about this.

What are the effects after?

Charge light goes off immediately after start and temp sits at left side of led and front radiator gets warm.

Reason for this is..Pulley ratios!!!

Before: If motor has 1000 rpms the cooling pump has 840 and alternator 1595 rpms.

After: If motor has 1000 rpms the cooling pump has 1400 and alternator 1890 rpms.

I hope the motor has not been overheated this wrong assembly. I think my case is unique..but If you have same symptoms check amount of the v-belts first.

Juha Koivisto 88 Vanagon (Caravelle) 1,6TD (old school bus with 9 seats) TURKU, FINLAND