Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:36:29 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Precision Navigation compass
Comments: To: Greg <yeff@EARTHLINK.NET>

Aeronautical maps are oriented to True North, with degrees of Magnetic Variation printed on the chart as either easterly or westerly.. This allows the navigator to make compass/navigation corrections. Alabama is pretty close to the "Zero" or"0" degrees magnetic variation line, whereas Alaska ----if memory serves.. is something on the order of 15 degrees west.

Pilots navigate by flying a course related to true notrh, and a compass heading which is adjusted for magnetic variation in the earth and magnetic deviation (compass displacement due to ferrous metals and induced electrical fields with in the airplane.).

If a pilot flies a true course and a true heading of 360 degrees, with a 15 degree westerly variation and a 5 degree easterly deviation , he must first turn his airplane so the compass reads 15 degrees west of true north or 345 degrees, then add back 5 degrees of easterly deviation, at which time his compass heading will read 350 degrees. That will keep him on a true course of 360 degrees. Now if you want to add in the angular vector of the wind......and the airspeed of the airplane and the calculated ground speed of the airplane..........!!!!!! Well that's another story.

I think most other navigational maps are oriented to true north as well. If I recall correctly the true north pole points at the North Star. I can't remember if the earths axis is around True north or around the magnetic North. I do remember they are not in the same place. As a matter of fact the magnetic pole moves a bit each year tracing the perimeter of a circle at the top of the world.

John Rodgers "88GL Driver