Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:30:54 +0100
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes wheels

"Michael J. Sullivan" wrote:

> Dear Per, > > I agree with your logic! -- however, are you saying that Winkler, HA Projekt, and Projektzwo are offering wheels that don't meet TUV? I thought they were!! In fact, I was counting on their expertise.

If they meet TÜV, they are ok! If they don't meet TÜV, I would say that they are not ok! All such wheels sold here are sold with papers of approval, and should be kept with the car. I cant comment on a single case as yours, when I don't know the source. I DO say that the wheels are not good *in general* on any car, especially when they move the center of the wheel 15 mms out. This will definitely cause negative effects on the bearings, IMHO.

> > > While it does make sense that, IN THEORY, all Vanagon wheels would always carry the same offset regardless of width, even Volkswagen didn't follow this logic!! For example, they use ET30 for their own 6" wheel and ET35 for their own 5 1/2" rim. Now WHY would Volkswagen do this??? And WHY would Winkler, HA Projekt, and Projektzwo offer 7" rims with ET23 and 6.6" rims with ET27??? It makes one wonder...

Maybe that the wide wheels wont fit on 2wds? They do have quite different upper arms up front!

> Frankly, I'm only saying that there are a lot of people out there promoting Audi/Mercedes wheels as the PREFERED "upgrade" when in fact there is NOTHING to support this position, and quite a lot of evidence to the contrary.

I agree, but there is nothing to do but try. I will try the Audi rims on my car before I plunk out the cash for them, especially if the offset is very out of range. I even consider ET 45 out of range, as that is even more inwards than stock rims. I believe Jimmy Sanby has Audi rims in his Syncro, comment Jimmy?

> I prefer to be conservative and trust people who are offering legitimate, TUV-approved, equipment made specifically for our Vanagons.

I agree 100%, but that can be very costly, too much for me these days.

> If it turns out that either Audi or Mercedes ever made a wheel that was "proper" then we should actively promote this as a viable solution.

One other thing I would like to mention that I haven't mentioned before. In many aftermarket wheel catalogues, there is one remark when looking up the Vanagon: See Mercedes W123 series.

PerL 87 Syncro 112i