Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Mar 2000 21:39:33 -0600
From:         "Robert S. Williams, MD (laptop)" <rwill@CENTURYINTER.NET>
Subject:      Ezee Brake bleeder kit from IPD
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Just thought I would follow up with a report of actual use of this product on my VW Bus.

I have a 1982 Aircooled Vanagon. The kit contains all parts needed to bleed the brakes except a bottle of fresh brake fluid,a a drain hose / jar to collect the old brake fluid as you drain it out. TO use it is simplicity itself. Just deflate your front driver's side tire to 20 PSI and fill the bottle with brake fluid. screw the cap on tightly. one hose goes to the brake fluid reservoir on the bus. the other hose fits onto the tire inflation valve. I found that, in order for everything to work, you have to ensure the tire stem is at 12 O'clock or there won't be enough hose to reach. After pressurizing the system, you just duck under the vehicle and drain brake fluid out at each of the brake cylinders.

When finished, you first depressurize the system (unhook the air pressure hose from the tire) then remove the cap on the brake fluid reservoir and replace the stock reservoir cap. I noticed that this system does leave the reservoir slightly overfilled after use.

All-in-all, I can say that using this system DOES make for the most hassle-free brake bleeding job I have ever done. It is well worth the cost. Using this system means that I don't have to hassle with trying to repeatedly refill the brake fluid reservoir and risk spilling brake fluid all down into the instrument cluster. It means that I also don't have to hassle with pumping the brake pedal; it makes an hour-long, messy, job into a neat 15 minute (or less) job.

Robert