Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:07:31 -0500
From:         "Michael J. Sullivan" <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes wheels

Dear Otmar,

Well, one can do whatever one wants, but comparing a 6.5" wheel with ET37 to the stock Vanagon alloy with ET30 is like comparing apples and oranges. It is clear that VW intended that the tire should move slightly towards the OUTSIDE as the width of the rim increased (i.e. 5.5" ET35 and 6.0" ET30). This is also clearly apparent from my diagram. Further, one need only examine the specifications for all the German aftermarket wheels from Projektzwo and Winkler to be convinced.

My own "rules" for the Vanagon are as follows:

5.5" rim -- 35mm offset (185mm, 195mm, 205mm tires)

6.0" rim -- 31mm offset (195mm, 205mm, 215mm tires)

6.5" rim -- 27mm offset (205mm, 215mm, 225mm tires)

7.0" rim -- 23mm offset (215mm, 225mm, 235mm tires)

Naturally, there are many on this list that have a vested interest in promoting Audi and Mercedes wheels as an "upgrade" to the Vanagon choices. However, often these same people doing the promoting are in the business of selling either the wheels themselves (obtained from the junkyard and marked up with tremendous profit) or "fixed up" vans with such wheels -- in either case, I would have to believe that their opinions are highly biased and thus, highly suspicious.

Now, that being said, it is very clear that over in Europe a very popular way to enhance the Vanagon is to install Audi and Mercedes wheels WITH SPACERS. This is apparently required by TUV. So for those of you who have purchased such wheels, it would be a simple matter of importing or having machined some spacers. For those of you "promoting" such wheels as part of your business, I think it incumbant upon you to offer spacers to your clients so that they can drive their vans in safety.

Enuf said.

Cheers,

MJS

At 09:30 AM 3/4/00 -0800, Otmar Ebenhoech wrote:

>Great image!

>I have Mercedes Alloys on my van, no spacers. The front is Syncro.

>Mine are 6.5" wide and have an offset of 37.

>If we take a 6" rim with a ET of 30, and compare it to a 6.5" rim.

>It should be centered on the old 6" rim with an ET of 36.4. Check my

>math. Am I going the right way here?

>I have not noticed any increased bump steer with my setup. Handling

>feels perfectly normal, and those who know how I drive know that it

>gets quite a workout.

>There are pics, part numbers and a description of how I did it on my web page.

>So maybe the real question is which Mercedes wheel?

<bold>

Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>IPS "SWATteam" Architect

Open Market, Inc.