Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:21:50 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Head leak x 2

Listees, Here is the rest of the story about my recent experience having the leaking head gaskets repaired on my '90 Westy. If you don't want to read the gory details, skip to the end and answer the questions, please. First, two comments; Thanks to all who responded to my question about the overfilled brake fluid reservoir. And, YES, it does help to have the repairs done (if possible) by someone who does more than one or two a year, even if they are a German car repair facility and a "VW Authorized Repair" shop. The heads were removed and sent to a machine shop (they said "someone who knows VW's") for repairing the pitting as well as grinding the valves and milling, etc. This was done and the heads were returned to the shop for re-installation, during which the tech apparently did not get the push rods(?) seated properly so that when it was started, there was damage to push rods and valves (some). The heads were removed again, returned to the machinist for repairs, a couple of new valves. Back to the shop for re-installation, this time with all new push rods and lifters, at their expense, as well as the second trip to the machinist. This time he got it right (hey, practice makes perfect), everything was adjusted, the cooling system bled, etc. They kept it for another day to make sure everything was right. I did have them do other maintenance while it was there, flush brake fluid, replace the thermostat and temp II sensor, spark plugs, a couple of hoses. Anyway, it was in the shop for 3 weeks, and besides the extra expenses they had to eat, they picked up half the cost of the rental, a vehicle from a place something like "Rent-a-Wreck". An '89 Fxxd Aexxxxar with 73kmiles and leaking fluids from stem to stern. Makes me appreciate my Westy a lot more! I asked them to return all old parts, so I now have a box full of old gaskets, seals, one bent push rod, eight hydraulic lifters, plugs, etc. and four head gaskets, two only used for half a day! QUESTIONS: There is a very slight coolant leak coming from one of the hoses to the oil cooler, the one closest to the oil filter, which I will have to remove to get at the clamp. If I remove the filter without draining the crankcase, am I going to get anymore oil draining from there than I would normally get? I want to try to replace the existing constant tension clamp with a worm-drive type (what are the good ones called, the type that don't dig into the hose?). Can I do this without removing the hose and having to bleed the system all over again?

Before I took the van in, the temp guage was reading just at the upper edge of the LED. Now it is reading slightly past the LED and seems to reach that temp sooner. As I said, they replaced the thermostat and the temp II sensor. Any thoughts on why it's running hotter? The van has 124k miles.

Thanks to all on the list, and I will spare you my comments on what we do in central Arizona in the winter, except to say that lawnmowers become yard ornaments all year 'round amidst various colored gravel and boulders and native plants.

Jerry "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." R.L. Stevenson