Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:41:25 -0800
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: baja gas, octane, and timing
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

I have never driven a fuel-injected car into Mexico, so I've never really paid that much attention to it. However, I do usually bring two things with me - octane booster and "fuel dry" which I think is basically just some sort of alcohol that allows the water to mix with the gas and burn. I also bring lots of cheese cloth and a good long flexible funnel.

The problems:

1. Low octane fuel if you require higher octane 2. Poorly stored fuel that has water in it 3. Poorly stored fuel that has rust and dirt in it.

On several occasions I have had to buy gas from a guy in the middle of nowhere where the gas is basically stored in 55 gallon drums fitted with hand pumps. In these cases, I ALWAYS use a funnel and cheese cloth (or a chamois works well but is slower) to strain the fuel. I also bring lots of spare in-line fuel filters.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Davidson [mailto:wdavidson@THEGRID.NET] Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2000 10:33 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: baja gas, octane, and timing

Kurt, I am also headed to Baja in April. I have been reading, and some claim that the actual octane is less than stated by Pemex. In fact, some recommend taking along octane boosters to add to the gasoline. Bill -----Original Message----- From: Krusinski, Kurt <kurt.krusinski@ATTWS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Saturday, March 04, 2000 10:01 AM Subject: baja gas, octane, and timing

>I'm bring my syncro to Baja for the month of April and have heard that the >only unleaded gas available is 91 octane. If this is really the only octane >available, it seems like I should tank up on 91 in the states and get the >timing & tune redone (I use 87/89 now). Am I correct? It seems like I >would need to adjust the detonation for the van to run smoothly on 91. > >Thanks much. > >Kurt Krusinski >425-580-3122 >

[text/html]