Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:08:29 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: ECU wire harness for 2.0L aircooled
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <seangar@hotmail.com>

Hi to all. I miss you, too.

You are correct, Sean... (AFAIK) Bosch doesn't make the 2.0 (type 4) wiring harness. The dealer will only laugh at you, unless by some dumb luck he happens to have a NOS one, the purchase of which will make you wince over a couple of Franklins, I'm sure.

There are a couple of options. One, patch yours back together with stuff from the Bosch catalog. They have a big stinkin' catalog of connectors and such. You could become a harness-patching resource to the web... order from the catalog, ask for harnesses as a core, work at home in your pyjamas, and grow rich, rich, rich.

You could buy an entire used harness through your local VW recycler, or Automobile Atlanta (specialize in our Kindred 914 Porsches). Prolly $50-$100, since they have a business model that incorporates making a profit.

You could switch to a carburetor, which will make your van perform like crap, become hard to start in the winter, pollute more, get worse mileage, and fail inspection in most states. While you are at it, lower the van 4", add curb-feelers and a digital stick-on clock/thermometer/compass, tint some of the windows (but not all of them) with some purple tint, bang up the body then fix it with bondo, put a 'rebel' flag on the side of the van, paint the name 'rebel' in small cursive above the driver's door handle, airbrush some rhyming words on the back of the van, like "krystal myst", drill into the side of the van and install an oil cooler, but don't actually hook it up...install green shag carpet throughout. Nice...

Or

You could sell your van, buy an OldsmoBuick, and start smoking cigars.

Hope all is well with all of you. Blessings.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Sean Garrett [SMTP:seangar@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 10:41 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM Subject: ECU wire harness for 2.0L aircooled

It looks like no one makes these anymore. If some one does please respond. I seem to recall a discussion about this a while ago... I think bulley mentioned that if you can get a certain Bosch kit these could be made. I for one would like to get started on this project and perhaps manufacture a couple of these for others in need.

Any feedback?

Sean 80 Westy seangar@hotmail.com